Week 2

The story about the family dispute took me into the second week of the challenge. Now I will write about the back story.

I had known for some time that my great great grandfather was Henry Beckles Gall and that he had lived in Barbados. An early history of the Barbados Mutual Life Assurance Society stated that he was an Englishman. I therefore directed my research at finding his birth in England. Then in 2006 I found a letter written by Barbadian historian Eustace Shilstone. The letter, held at the Shilstone Library at the Barbados museum stated that Henry had been born in Demerara. This was the first time I had ever heard of any family connection in South America. Let alone that his father had also been called Henry Beckles Gall.

Early days in Demerara

Comments

  1. David, this post adds information here that really enhances the reader's understanding of the story. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

The story ends at the beginning